Members of the Good Food Guild snacks category have met the highest standards of achievement with meticulously sourced, high-quality ingredients that have been thoughtfully prepared with the right snacking moment in mind. We consider these snacks the tastiest items to grab between meals! Whether it be through the crisp texture of a cracker or the unique flavor combination of a granola, snacks celebrate a diversity of flavor profiles and textures.
The Good Food Guild relies on the expertise of the snacks community to develop, revise and set standards for the category. As ingredient sourcing and production techniques evolve, so do our standards. Read on to learn what those standards are and meet the snacks crafters of the Good Food Guild.
In order to join the Good Food Guild, snacks companies must meet the following standards for at least 50% of their product line:
- Made in the USA or US territories.
- Made with a balanced objective of local, organic and highest-quality.*
- Made with transparency in supply chain.**
- Free of high fructose corn syrup, palm oil and artificial ingredients, including colors, flavors and preservatives.
- Made with rBGH-free milk, where milk is used.
- Made with flours that have not been bleached or bromated.
- Free of genetically modified ingredients.
- Made with spices that are certified organic, Fair Trade, or traceable to the farm level.*
- Must include more than one ingredient or be created in such a way that an agricultural product has been transformed into a value-added snack. If product entered is a single ingredient transformed to a value-added snack, single ingredient must be grown without the use of synthetic herbicides, pesticides, fungicides or fertilizers.***
*Ingredients that make up less than 2% of the product (such as spices, sugar, or lemon juice) may be sourced from farther afield, or from a larger distributor.
**That is, an earnest attempt is made to verify the origin and production methods of the ingredient. If made with ingredients that are not grown domestically, a farm-direct or certified organic source has been sought and documentation of this search, including notes on calling distributors, is provided.
***Ingredients grown with minimal synthetic inputs using Integrated Pest management practices will be evaluated on a case by case basis.