The Good Food Awards celebrates cultural authenticity, regional flavors and traditions with our pantry category! Umami-packed miso paste, pungent sambal, spicy hot sauce, colorful salsa and a plethora of savory condiments, made from responsibly sourced, GMO-free ingredients, will be considered for Awards this year.
The Good Food Awards rely on the expertise of the pantry community to create the tasting, determine judges and set standards for the category. Read on to learn who has been integral to building the category, as well as what the pantry standard are and who will be judging this year.
Founder at Ellen Rawley Creative & Strategy
Ellen Rawley helps producers launch and scale purposeful & profitable products by taking the guesswork out of product development and compliance. Before starting Ellen Rawley Creative & Strategy, she developed a jam line & olive oil beauty products for McEvoy Ranch. Her work has been applauded in leading magazines (Food & Wine, Oprah, Martha Stewart), distinguished by industry awards (sofi, Good Food), and snatched up by buyers in major grocery, spa, and e-commerce outlets.
Jack of All Trades at Che Fico Alimentari
Sharon’s interest in the sustainable food movement started with a bite of pie. It wasn’t Sharon’s first bite of pie, by any means, but it was an enlightening slice. Her first job in SF found Sharon landing at Mission Pie, where the fire fueling her journey into the sustainable food industry was lit. Originally from Marietta, Georgia, Sharon has worked with restaurants in San Francisco for ten years. During that time, her passions expanded, leading her to spend time at farms and farmers markets working to bridge the gap between consumer and farmer and become more meaningfully involved with where our produce originates. Sharon looks forward to the day when we can all share a slice off pie together and is delighted to join the GFA team.
In order to be eligible for a Good Food Award, pantry entries must meet the following standards:
- Made in the USA or US territories.
- Made with a balanced objective of local, organic and highest-quality.*
- Made with transparency in supply chain.**
- Free of high fructose corn syrup and artificial ingredients, including colors, flavors and preservatives.
- Made with rBGH-free milk, where milk is used.
- Made with domestic, non-petroleum based vinegar where vinegar is used.
- Free of genetically modified ingredients.
- Made with spices that are certified organic, Fair Trade or traceable to the farm level.*
- Made by a crafter that is an upstanding member of the good food community, committed to equity, inclusion, and justice in all levels of their business.
*Ingredients that make up less than 2% of the product, such as spices, sugar or lemon juice, may be sourced from farther afield, or from a larger distributor.
**That is, an earnest attempt is made to verify the origin and production methods of the ingredient. If made with ingredients that are not grown domestically on a commercial scale, a farm-direct or certified organic source is sought out and documentation of this search, including notes on calling distributors, is provided.
Additionally, pantry entries must fit within one of the following subcategories:
- Pasta/Pizza Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Dressing & Marinades
- Salt Cured & Oil Packed
- Pantry Sauces & Pastes (e.g., miso, sambal, curry paste)
- Salsas, Relishes & Chutneys (e.g., onion chutney, tomatillo salsa)
- Condiments (e.g., mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard)
- Flavor Bases (e.g., fish sauce, soy sauce)
- Maple Syrups
- Nut Butters
Project Coordinator, World Central Kitchen
Owner, Spice Hound
Good Food Advocate
Baker/Chef/Owner, Reem's California
Former Cheese Monger at Epicurean Trader
Chef de Cuisine, Che Fico
Head of Culinary, Thumbtack
Nutritional Counselor, Wellness Chef
Executive Director, Zero Foodprint
Food Writer, Dash & Bella
Founder, Chief Strategist, Strategic Nutrition Design
VP DMM Merchandising, Entertainment, Cost Plus World Market
Senior Product Category Manager, Patagonia Provisions
Good Food Business Helper, Food Starter
Founder & COO, Noise 13
Cookbook Author, Author, Asian Pickles & Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It
Confections Co-Chair, Good Food Foundation
Chef, Salo Series
Service Manager, Bi-Rite Family of Businesses
Chef and Owner, Good to Eat Dumplings