The winners in the Good Food Awards snacks category have met the highest standards of achievement with meticulously sourced, high-quality ingredients that have been thoughtfully prepared with the right snacking moment in mind. We consider these snacks the tastiest items to grab between meals! Whether it be through the crisp texture of a cracker or the unique flavor combination of a granola, snacks celebrate a diversity of flavor profiles and textures.
The Good Food Awards rely on the expertise of the snacks community to create the tasting, determine judges and set standards for the category. Read on to learn who has been integral to building the category, as well as what the snacks standard are and who will be judging this year.
Co-Founder of Parsnip – San Francisco, CA
Erin Lenhardt is an entrepreneur who helps to scale and build food businesses. She’s the Director of Hospitality Sales for Copper Cow Coffee, a Vietnamese portable pour over startup. Along with Sally Rogers, Erin is also the co-founder of Parsnip, a platform that helps businesses match and work with like-minded brand partners. She previously cofounded Norm’s Farms, an elderberry startup, and The Food Mint, a consultancy that helps food startups grow. Erin spends her free time curating home goods for her vacation rentals and going on unexpected adventures with her hound dog Mo.
Co-Founder of Parsnip – San Francisco, CA
Sally Rogers worked in finance and consulting for a decade before deciding to leave her corporate career and chase her passion: connecting with people around making better food choices. Sally went on to start two companies (Nibble, a healthy snacking company, and The Pickle, an editorial), and is currently working on Parsnip, a matchmaking company for consumer brands (including tasty and good food and beverage!). She chairs the Slow Food San Francisco Board and advises The Cooking Project.
In order to be eligible for a Good Food Award, snacks entries must meet the following standards:
- Made in the USA or US territories.
- Made with a balanced objective of local, organic and highest-quality.*
- Made with transparency in supply chain.**
- Free of high fructose corn syrup, palm oil and artificial ingredients, including colors, flavors and preservatives.
- Made with rBGH-free milk, where milk is used.
- Made with flours that have not been bleached or bromated.
- Free of genetically modified ingredients.
- Made with spices that are certified organic, Fair Trade, or traceable to the farm level.*
- Must include more than one ingredient or be created in such a way that an agricultural product has been transformed into a value-added snack. If product entered is a single ingredient transformed to a value-added snack, single ingredient must be grown without the use of synthetic herbicides, pesticides, fungicides or fertilizers.***
*Ingredients that make up less than 2% of the product (such as spices, sugar, or lemon juice) may be sourced from farther afield, or from a larger distributor.
**That is, an earnest attempt is made to verify the origin and production methods of the ingredient. If made with ingredients that are not grown domestically, a farm-direct or certified organic source has been sought and documentation of this search, including notes on calling distributors, is provided.
***Ingredients grown with minimal synthetic inputs using Integrated Pest management practices will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Additionally, snacks must fit in one of the following subcategories:
- Popcorn (must be pre-popped)
- Chips (e.g., corn, potato, veggie)
- Crackers & Crisps (excludes graham crackers or other sweet cookie-like crackers)
- Bars & Balls (e.g., granola, protein, energy)
- Hard Pretzels
- Snack Mixes (e.g., trail, nut, seed, or party!)
- Puffs (e.g., cheese, quinoa, rice, veggie)
Sasha Bernstein Skon
Co-Founder and Director, The Cooking Project
Clif Bar & Co., Agricultural Project Manager
Adjunct Professor of Cultural Anthropology, University of San Francisco
Founder & CEO, Just Date Syrup
PR Director - Northern California and Pacific Northwest, Whole Foods Market
Design Project Manager, Fare Resources
Marketing & Communications Coordinator, California Farmer's Market Association
Marketing Communications Director, Veritable Vegetable
Vice President of Marketing and Branding, Puccini Group
CEO & Founder, Masienda
Co-Owner, The Local Butcher Shop
Founder, Editor, Publisher, Paper Magazine
Chef/Owner, Homage SF
Founder, Garlic Press Jess
CEO, Atlas Edibles
VP of Culinary Pioneering, Di Bruno Bros.
Food and Beverage Director, The Assembly
Founder, Tinker Kitchen
Senior eCommerce Merchandiser, Good Eggs
Executive Director, Fresh Approach
Freelance Photographer & Graphic Designer
Global Food Strategy Manager, Airbnb
Digital Director, Bare Snacks
Partner, Look's Market